Pregnancy, Birth & Postnatal Doula Work
Why hire a doula?
You’re pregnant – congratulations! Maybe this is your first time, or maybe you’ve been here before. Either way you’re likely to be feeling a mixture of excitement and trepidation!
By now you know there’s a lot more to growing a baby than the fun of picking out colours for the nursery and settling on a name. You might have already been confronted with serious decision-making about prenatal tests, birth plans and healthcare.
With a doula, you have the reassurance of an experienced professional who can hold your hand, both physically and metaphorically, throughout your pregnancy and labour. This partnership gives you support to make choices that are right for you.
My aim as your doula is to make you feel safe, supported, listened to and held, so you achieve your best birth experience.
During our antenatal meetings, you, and your partner when possible, can use the time to talk about birth expectations and concerns, practise coping techniques, and make plans in an unhurried environment.
We can discuss the choices you have in pregnancy and labour as I help you unpick the evidence around your options and explore your intentions, hopes and plans. And, I will be there to communicate your wishes during labour – whilst also providing that all-important comfort and support you’ll need every step of the way.
Importantly, as your doula you’ve got my full and committed support and can contact me by phone, text, WhatsApp, email or even carrier pigeon any time.
I’ve been in the ‘birth world’ for over 15 years working as a National Childbirth Trust (NCT) antenatal teacher and a pregnancy yoga instructor. I’ve also worked at Stroud Midwifery Unit as a maternity care assistant and I have been in your shoes as a mum of three.
My experience includes supporting women and couples planning home and hospital births, induction and declining induction, Caesarean and water births.
My goal is to bring a calm, joyous and relaxed atmosphere to your birth experience. Testament to the success of this approach is the bond that I create with the women I support. A bond that thrives during pregnancy and far beyond.
“Gillian is one of the loveliest people you’ll meet, she’s completely dedicated to her work and very well organised. The conversations we had before the birth gave me wonderful support and helped me to relax. She also helped me to create the birth plan and most importantly she was there to hold my hand and support me when I gave birth. I’m so glad she agreed to be my doula, I really could not have wished for a better support and will always be grateful that she was there for us when our daughter was born."
What does it involve? And how much does it cost?
Pregnancy and Birth Doula Support: £1,250
(Flexible payment plans available)
- Getting together at least two or three times to discuss any previous experiences or deeply held expectations, dispel any fears, explore all your options and ensure that you (and your partner) feel ready and excited about meeting your baby. During this time we can talk about the ways you'd like to be supported during labour and birth, both physically and emotionally. We'll also consider how we can all ensure that the birth of your baby is the most magical moment it can be, and we can draw up both birth and postnatal plans.
- My support by email, phone or text at any stage during your pregnancy and postnatally, if anything big or small crops up that you want to talk about.
- Unlimited half-price Pregnancy Yoga as soon as you hire me as your doula, and Baby Yoga once your little one has arrived. Face-to-face yoga classes are held in Stroud and Nailsworth; or I can supply videos if practising at home is your preference.
- I'll be on call for your birth 24/7 usually from 38 weeks, ready to be with you during labour as soon as you need me until after your baby is born.
- A two-hour postnatal visit to debrief the birth, offer support for your recovery and help with feeding or any other baby care: this is usually within the first few days of the birth, but can be later if that suits your new family better.
Early Days Doula Support
(Available to Pregnancy & Birth doula clients)
Daytime Help: £250 for ten hours
- Ten hours of support to ‘mother the mother’, taken in two or three hour blocks.
- Enabling you to grow in confidence with your new baby: supporting your feeding choices, helping with nappies, bathing and sling-wearing. I can also help with older siblings or light housework to free you up, giving you time to recover and get to know your new baby.
- On request, I can bring light vegan meals or snacks such as soup or flapjacks.
- Additional hours can be booked at £30 per hour, minimum two hours.
The Night Shift: £300 for ten hours
- Any ten hours between 8pm and 8am.
- Giving you the opportunity to rest fully, knowing that I'll see to your baby through the night, bringing them to you for feeding as required.